The importance of professional teeth cleaning and dental check ups
You have regular check-ups with your doctor. You take your car to the garage for a regular service. Your teeth and gums should also get the same treatment and attention. Oral health is a very important part of your overall health and well-being. Poor oral health leads to gum disease, periodontal disease and a host of other tooth and mouth issues, which has been linked to major illnesses such as diabetes, stroke and heart disease. Early detection is the key to treating any health issue, whether it’s oral or in other parts of your body, because success rates are generally better when the disease is still small and doctors can treat it at its earliest stages. Regular visits to your dentist are crucial in maintaining your oral health. Let’s see why.
Brushing is good, but a professional clean is better
Have you ever watched a non professional league rugby game before? The players are good, but not great. The divide between a semi-pro rugby player and a real pro is so great, even the mediocre players who turned pro can make it and even dominate in the semi-pro league. Same goes for your teeth. Sure, brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing regularly can go a long way towards good dental health and hygiene, but having your teeth cleaned by a professional is a different beast. Dentists can go where you and your trusty old toothbrush just can’t. There’s a lot more going on during a routine cleaning session. A “Cleaning” is more than just a cleaning: there are many other factors that go on during your regular visits that you may not be aware of. In addition to taking x-rays of your teeth (if necessary) and doing the actual cleaning, your dentist will check your head, neck, the tissues in your mouth, and your jaw function. This evaluation is done to see if there are any cavities, check the status of existing fillings if they’re broken or defective/damaged and checking other dental appliances. They will put together all this information to give you a complete evaluation of your dental and oral health.
Regular Dental Check Ups: #every6months
Make that one of your mottos or mantras in life: Every six months. Use a hashtag, use your phone’s calendar or stick a note in your refrigerator. Do everything you can so you won’t forget. Regular dental visits are essential for the maintenance of healthy teeth and gums. It’s also important that you work to keep your teeth and gums clean at home, in-between visits. If your dentist/hygienist has observed signs such as inflammation and bone loss, you may need additional treatment. Your dentist may even suggest more frequent visits. Check ups are very important: better to catch a cavity when it’s small and easily repaired, instead of missing your regular visit and risk it getting bigger. A more complicated and a more costly procedure will be needed if left untreated.
Top Reasons why professional cleaning and dental check ups are important:
- Prevent plaque and tartar build up: Regular brushing and flossing at home is important to maintain you’re your oral health, but tartar and plaque can still accumulate in those hard to reach places like the back of the teeth and below the gum line. Professional cleaning gives your teeth a thorough cleaning and helps prevent plaque and tartar build up in trouble areas, reducing the risk of gum disease and tooth decay.
- Nip dental problems in the bud: Catch and stop dental problems early and before they become severe with regular dental check up. Treatment is a lot easier (and more affordable) when the problem is still in its early stages.
- Prevent gum disease: When left untreated, plaque and tartar is loaded with bacteria which can cause an infection such as gum disease. Professional dental cleaning and check ups stop bacteria in its tracks and helps reduce the development of gum disease.
- Reduce your risk of losing a tooth: Gum disease and dental decay are the leading causes of tooth loss. Regular dental check ups and professional cleaning help reduce these risks, which in turn lowers your chances of tooth loss.
- Fight dental discolouration: Professional dental cleaning help keep dental discolouration at bay. When you have your teeth professionally cleaned, your dentist polishes your teeth to help restore its lustre and shine.
- Fresher breath: Chronic bad breath can be a major downer. Keeping your gums and teeth clean and disease free can reduce the symptoms of embarrassing bad breath.
Oral healthcare should be one of your priorities if you want to be healthier. Regular dental check ups and professional cleaning with the Beacon Dental Clinic based in Sandyford will help lower your risk of gum diseases and other complications, while ensuring you have a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums, plus a winning smile. Schedule an appointment with the Beacon Dental Clinic today!
Beacon Dental Clinic, Beacon Consultants Clinic, Dublin, D18 E7P4, Ireland
Tel: +353 1 213 5644 | Fax: +353 1 213 5645 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org